The History of Paper Trade Ltd & Managing Director Hervé Grondin


20 years In the Making

Paper Trade Ltd is the fruition of a long and prosperous career in the international recycling industry and marketplace, both known for their volatility and dynamism. For Hervé Grondin, the Managing Director, it has been an interesting journey of more than 20 years to reach this current position.

Hervé Grondin has vast experience in developing business relationships that synergise to advance the international trades of recyclables in China, Europe and in particular the UK, despite the constant challenges of evolving regulations and legislations.

Modern Developments

With markets constantly shifting and changing, Hervé saw the opportunity to utilise his experience and network to expand Paper Trade ltd beyond just paper. With the introduction of recovered plastics and waste electronics to the expansion of the business, new relationships and forgings of trust have supported our exporting activities, despite stringent technical requirements.

Recent years have proved difficult for the industry, with two major crises resulting in the loss of tens of thousands of jobs and countless businesses falling under. Thanks to Hervé’s savvy business skills and adaptability, Paper Trade Ltd has survived all challenges, successfully fulfilling and continuing orders with suppliers and customers, to their great relief.

The Early Stages

Let’s travel back in time to show you where Paper Trade Ltd was really established. Hervé’s further education began in 1993, studying English at Le Mans Université in France. After leaving the world of education, he began pursuing a career in recycling as a Sales and Purchasing manager at Soulier UK Ltd, a subsidiary of Veolia, back in 1998. In his four years in the role, Mr Grondin drove forward the company’s presence in the UK and managed the new business developments by building credible and profitable trading relationships.

Moving forward

The next role for Hervé was as a Sales and Purchases Manager for Georgia-Pacific LLC, where he worked with channels in UK & France to develop deals with China. Whilst in this position in Kent, UK, he acted as the primary point of contact for stakeholders, customers and suppliers, helping to develop relationships between all of them. Just one year after starting this position, Hervé decided to take a calculated risk, and start his own business.

The Life & Times Of PTL

In June 2003, Paper Trade Ltd was born, and by the end of the year, Hervé welcomed the experienced Reuben Bolton from Ipswich’s Bolton Brothers as a business partner. Hervé set about the task of focusing on the development of paper recycling routes through the UK, Europe and East Asia, both with short-term and long-term visions for sustainability and profitability. Having succeeded in this, and the strategic management of all commercial and operational areas of the business, he purchased back his shares from Mr Bolton. DS Smith later purchased 80% of Paper Trade Ltd, with Hervé keeping the remaining 20%.

With time to pursue new goals, Hervé re-entered the academic world, studying an MBA at EDHEC Business School in Nice, France. Fast-forward several years, and Hervé is back in control at Paper Trade Ltd, taking a new approach, a greater diversity of materials, and bringing great business acumen and experience to the table.

Present Day

On a daily basis, Herve commands the complex negotiations of purchase/sale prices and volumes with suppliers/customers across Europe, demonstrating his international market knowledge. As well as suppliers, Mr Grondin has excellent strategic and business relationships with a range of sea freight operators and hauliers, allowing for negotiated transport rates. All of these successes have allowed him to maintain and deliver 100% revenue growth year-on-year, at set out in his strategic plan.

The History of Hervé Grondin


20 years In the Making

Paper Trade Ltd is the fruition of a long and prosperous career in the international recycling industry and marketplace, both known for their volatility and dynamism. For Hervé Grondin, the Managing Director, it has been an interesting journey of more than 20 years to reach this current position.

Hervé Grondin has vast experience in developing business relationships that synergise to advance the international sales of recyclables in China, Europe and in particular the UK, despite the constant challenges of evolving regulations and legislations.

Modern Developments

With markets constantly shifting and changing, Hervé saw the opportunity to utilise his experience and network to expand Paper Trade ltd beyond just paper. With the introduction of recovered plastics and waste electronics to the expansion of the business, new relationships and forgings of trust have supported our exporting activities, despite stringent technical requirements.

Recent years have proved difficult for the industry, with two major crises resulting in the loss of tens of thousands of jobs and countless businesses falling under. Thanks to Hervé’s savvy business skills and adaptability, Paper Trade Ltd has survived all challenges, successfully fulfilling and continuing orders with suppliers and customers, to their great relief.

The Early Stages

Let’s travel back in time to show you where Paper Trade Ltd was really established. Hervé’s further education began in 1993, studying English at Le Mans Université in France. After leaving the world of education, he began pursuing a career in recycling as a Sales and Purchasing manager at Soulier UK Ltd, a subsidiary of Veolia, back in 1998. In his four years in the role, Mr Grondin drove forward the company’s presence in the UK and managed the new business developments by building credible and profitable trading relationships.

Moving forward

The next role for Hervé was as a Sales and Purchases Manager for Georgia-Pacific LLC, where he worked with channels in UK & France to develop deals with China. Whilst in this position in Kent, UK, he acted as the primary point of contact for stakeholders, customers and suppliers, helping to develop relationships between all of them. Just one year after starting this position, Hervé decided to take a calculated risk, and start his own business.

The Life & Times Of PLT

In June 2003, Paper Trade Ltd was born, and by the end of the year, Hervé welcomed the experienced Reuben Bolton from Ipswich’s Bolton Brothers as a business partner. Hervé set about the task of focusing on the development of paper recycling routes through the UK, Europe and East Asia, both with short-term and long-term visions for sustainability and profitability. Having succeeded in this, and the strategic management of all commercial and operational areas of the business, he purchased back his shares from Mr Bolton. DS Smith later purchased 80% of Paper Trade Ltd, with Hervé keeping the remaining 20%. With time to pursue new goals, Hervé re-entered the academic world, relocating to Nice, France, to study an MBA at EDHEC. Fast-forward several years, and Hervé is back in control at Paper Trade Ltd, taking a new approach, a greater diversity of materials, and bringing great business acumen and experience to the table.

Present Day

On a daily basis, Herve commands the complex negotiations of purchase/sale prices and volumes with suppliers/customers across Europe, demonstrating his international market knowledge. As well as suppliers, Mr Grondin has excellent strategic and business relationships with a range of sea freight operators and hauliers, allowing for negotiated transport rates. All of these successes have allowed him to maintain and deliver 100% revenue growth year-on-year, at set out in his strategic plan.